11.16.2009

Going "batty" at the Portland Comic Show!


Hey there, my faithful art lovers! Well, we are back from the excursion to the Portland Comic Book Show. So, here's a little rundown of how things went...


It was a nice time overall, for those of us at Sequential Treasures. Randy Kintz was kept fairly busy, selling prints and doing sketches. A couple of highlights were his doing a sketch of the Vision for a little boy and a Catwoman for a little girl. In fact, there were quite a few kids at this show, which was something I was happy to see, as I ended up giving out 40 free comics to kids at the show yesterday. It's just a small way I try to help them to foster the love of this great artform and entertainment source.


I got to meet some really great folks at the show, too, including Andrew from the Comics Bronze Age blog and an unexpected visit from my friend, and comic artist extraordinaire, Matt Haley. Then, of course, we had some folks dressed up walking around. I snapped this shot of a lady done up as the television version of Batgirl. I have to say, her costume was pretty well done, too. I also had some nice chats with folks about the finer points of original comic art, as well. I even picked up a few sketches for myself, including this little gem from Jason Metcalf and another one from Gene Ha.


If there was any downside to the show, it would have to be, once again, a lack of sales. As with Seattle the week before, it seems folks just didn't want to open their wallets for us. I really hope this trend is broken soon, because going to shows isn't free for us and we can't keep absorbing losses forever. Hopefully, with the Holidays soon upon us, folks will help us to end the year on a bright economical note.


But while the con season is over for Sequential Treasures until next year, you'll still have chances to meet some of our artists. Randy Kintz will be at the Comic Evolution shop in Puyallup, WA this Wednesday, to help promote the recent release of DRONE #1, from Red 5 Comics. So, if you are in the area, make sure to stop in and pick up a copy. Also, while at the Portland Show, Randy gave me a few new pin up pieces he's done recently, which you can see right here. They feature Batman, the JLA and the gals of the X-Men, respectively. I have to say, with all honesty, I think these pieces are some of the best stuff I've seen from Randy this year (and considering some of what he's done, that's saying something). I hope to have the original art for DRONE #1 within the next few weeks, as well as possibly some new stuff from Richard Moore and the very M.I.A. Chris Ivy. So keep a watch out for that. [Update - 11/17/09: Just thought you all should know that the Hero Initiative's latest round of "Wolverine 100 Project" auctions, including the one donated by Chris Ivy, are ending tomorrow. So, if you haven't bid on it yet, be sure to do so soon!]


Guess that will do it, for now. Make sure to keep tabs on us, as there may yet be some last minute surprises for you all, from those of us at Sequential Treasures, before the end of the year. Until then, peace out!

No comments: