5.24.2010

The Spokane ComiCon aftermath report!


Hey everyone! Well, I'm back from the Spokane ComiCon this past Saturday. I don't know if any of you were there, but if so I hope you enjoyed yourselves.


The attendance for this year's show was the best on record in the event's four year history. There were plenty of great comics around, both from dealers and creators who happened to be on hand. Our own Randy Kintz and Ben Hansen were there, slinging prints and sketches (I even picked one of the latter up from Randy myself).


Lots of people came dressed up in costumes for the contest they were holding. I don't think I'd see that many people made up since Halloween. I managed to get a couple of snapshots of some of my favorites, along with a couple other con pics, which you can see posted at our Facebook forum.


I handed out some business cards and had some nice chats with folks about comics, art, and just stuff in general. If there was any downer, it was, as always seems the case, a lack of sales. In fact, not one thing sold at my table. Don't let that photo of me above fool you, because while lots of people looked at stuff, no one ever went for their wallets. I'm really at a loss for what else I can do. People don't even want to haggle over the prices. I can't do much, if folks don't even want to talk.


Overall, I'd say I had a good time, although most of that was due to my after show activities, which includes, but isn't limited to, being mistaken for being a member of the band The Bare Naked Ladies (you'll have to talk to me in person, if you want the details on that one).


I don't know if I'll be going to the show next year, given how I've crapped out at making sales for the last two years running. In fact, I'm not sure if I'll do any more shows at all, given the apathetic response I've gotten from the OA fanbase and larger comic community as a whole. Doing shows are not free or cheap for any of us who work them, so when you folks don't spend, you take away a lot of reason for us to go. Just something you all might want to think on.


Well, that's all for now. I hope to have some new art updates for you soon. Until then, peace out!

No comments: