6.02.2009

Spokane Comicon Aftermath: A very mixed bag!


Hey everyone! Well, I'm back and rested up from doing the Spokane Comic Con this past Saturday. While there were some good things that happened from it, it also had its share of things that didn't work for me. So, here's my thoughts on the show...


I was set up between my guy, Randy Kintz (who is hard at work on a sketch in the picture here), and artist Jason Metcalf. The tables were smaller than I thought they would be and the space behind the tables of those of us in the artists alley section, was a bit cramped at time, since many of us had stuff we needed to keep behind the tables. In fact, the show itself was smaller than I anticipated. According to the guys who started it, this year (the third year of the show) is the biggest one they've done. Yet, for me, it was of a size that would be barely worth doing it, if I was in charge (makes me glad I wasn't at either of the first two shows, as well).


Once the doors opened, people started pouring in. I was pleasantly surprised to see as many kids as I did in attendance. I gave away almost 50 free comics to kids at the show, which was certainly one of the highlights of the show for me. It was also nice talking with some old friends who I have seen since Emerald City Comicon. I managed to get a sketch from artist Steve Lieber for myself, as well. There were folks done up in costumes for the contest held later that day (and if you'd like to see some pics of the contestants, make a comment here and I'll do up a post with some of the photos I got). I talked with some folks, and even managed to help a few get a greater appreciation of comic art and what is involved in the process of it.


However, despite that almost 600 people were reported to have come to the show, sales for me were almost non-existent. Not one piece of art was sold. If it weren't for some of the related items I brought with me (such as sketchbooks and autographed comics), I wouldn't have made a sale all day. I don't think this had anything to do with the con folks themselves, who seemed to be doing everything they could for the guests and dealers there. Something I noted (as did my wife) were all the people who mentioned this was their very first comicon experience. So, my guess is, that many of those who came, simply suffered from total sensory overload. It might have made the show more fun for them, but kind of hindered my main reason for being there.


So, while the show didn't pan out for me financially, I still had a good time and made the most of things. It was a nice little show, overall. I just didn't make out as well as I had hoped. Of course, these are just my thoughts. You can get another view of how things went, right over here.


While all of this was happening, the Josh Medors benefit auctions were ending. While I haven't got a final tally on how much was generated for the event, I do know that the pieces donated by Randy Kintz and Richard Moore brought in almost $100.00 together. I also know that, given where the prices were when I last looked in on the auctions, they must have raised several thousand dollars in all. So, good job, everyone! It is great to see this community can still pull together to help out someone in need.


As for what is in the future for all of you, well, I'm expecting another batch of art from Randy Kintz any time now. Plus, there is the Seattle ComiCard show on the 14th of this month, which I will also have a table at. With this show being more well-established and larger, I'm hoping to do better in making sales for my artists.


Of course, you can always help in that, by checking out my art gallery and making a purchase or two. Believe me, it is always appreciated. That's all for now. I'll hopefully have more news and stuff for you soon. Until later, peace out!

No comments: