3.21.2010

A Web of Excitement: The Emerald City ComiCon Report



Okay, everyone, after much ballyhoo and promises, here's the post-ECCC report I know you've been waiting for.




This show has grown very much over the last several years since it began. One of the things I've noticed is the large increase of traffic at the show. Over the course of the two days this year, an attendance record was broken, with almost 15,000 people coming to the show this year. That might sound impressive, but when you factor in that a couple of pop cultures "royalty" were among the guests, it isn't quite as surprising. I also liked have several of our artists at the show. Randy Kintz, Ben Hansen and Matt Haley were all there. We all would have liked more time to hang out, but the constant flow of humanity made that all but impossible.




Speaking of creators, one of the high points of the show for me, was finally getting to meet Stan "the Man" Lee. If ever their was a creator who could be called a "living legend," Stan Lee would have to be it. I got my copy of Ravage 2099 #1 signed by him and even got to shake his hand. On top of that, Stan punk'd me and played a little joke on me, while I got my signature. I hope my mind and wit are as fast as his, when I'm nearing 90 years of age. I'd have liked to have gotten a photo with him, but with an autograph cost $40.00 and the photo just as much, I simply didn't have the funds. Still, I met him and that's all that really matters to me.




Talked to some other fine creators, too. Including Tone Rodriguez, who could hardly keep awake while doing a sketch for me. Then, I spent a few minutes talking with Aaron Lopresti. I've seen Aaron at several shows in my region, so he knows me. In fact, he's married to a women my wife went to high school with. Small world, it seems. The best original piece I pick up was a sketch of Iron Man by Tim Sale, at a post show event by the Hero Initiative. I was amazed at just how much detail he put into his style, to make it look so simplistic. Just incredible.




Plenty of folks were dressed up in costumes, as well. I saw a couple Catwoman ones, a nice Supergirl, a Joker and probably the best Poison Ivy costume I'd ever seen. However, I ended up snapping this pic of a kid dressed as that wall-crawling icon, Spider-Man, which you can see above.




If there was any downside to the show, it would have to be, and I know this sounds like a broken record, a lack of sales. To call them "slow," would to call the Grand Canyon a "pothole." In fact, this point greatly bothered me on Saturday. So much so, I almost considered packing up and going home. Others, fortunately, dissuaded me of that. And funniest of all, was the words of advice I got from artist Joe Dodd, who had the table next to mine. He said that Seattle isn't a big original art town and that other ones, like in Florida and New York, are more known for attracting the art buying crowds. Well, I wish I'd have known that sooner, but it's a live and learn world, I suppose.




Naturally, the post-show hanging out is always the best part of any convention. I've sort of established myself a small crew, whom I always hang out with when the day of a show is done. Taking in some of the nightlife of the city and some of the... eccentric personalities one will see around town, always makes for some fun times. This show was no different. And it had the added benefit of us brew up some ideas for the future of Sequential Treasures. You'll just have to stay tuned as see how these develop over the year.




So, overall a good experience was had and some good times, too. Next up, is a Free Comic Book Day event in Ellensburg and then the Spokane Comicon, both in May. I hope some of you will be at these events. I'd love to meet you in person.




That's all for now. I'll be back soon, with more news on our artists projects and more art updates. Until then, peace out!

No comments: